Friday, September 6, 2019

Checking in Before the Next Onc Appointment




As we begin fall of 2019, as I approach my 58th BD, as I come upon six years of trying to outwit this monster and I approach the next Oncology appointment, a check in is due.

I find myself living in a new home with tolerable finding work (that which I can do) at twice the rate of pay and getting back to base level physical function (by and large) 5 months after 5 sessions of SBRT (high dose radiation over less sessions) in March.

OK, details:

U/G Toxicity 

Largely resolved and back to normal.  Once every few days, I'll have a sense of urgency and one day (1!) I was unable to stop the flow.   That's a bit disconcerting but not bad.  I keep a hospital grade urinal behind the bed just in case but rarely feel like I have to use it.  Pain during urination is down to, at worst, a 2 (1-10) and is usually 0.  I still take a low dose of generic flomax but I haven't had to take Axos for at least 2-3 months.  Going number 1 ain't bad!. Sometimes I stand at the urinal and just smile :)

Rectal Toxicity

Zero.  None.  Nada. I firmly believe that getting the SpaceOar gel implant (see previous posts) was one of the wisest things I've ever done.

Sexual Function

Largely back to baseline. I still take sildenafil  as a proactive/blood flow therapy, but I can get a healthy erection without drugs.   I am very surprised and relieved by this.

Fatigue

Still a struggle but I have had more good days in the last week or so.  I will likely always struggle with this (per my gut feeling and various physician statements).   So I try to do what I can.

Neuropathy

An ongoing issue.  It keeps me from being on my feet more than 4-6 hours lest I risk being in excruciating pain for a couple of days.  Various physicians have said, some recently, this may never go away.  Thanks chemo.

Now all that stated, let's talk numbers.  My last PSA was a 6.0 whereas right before the SBRT, it was approaching 14 with a rapid doubling time.  This is really good news as it gets me back to where I was in March of 2018.

I've also been advised I have a small hernia (but large enough to notice) on the right between the scrotum and thigh.  This would explain the pain in that area.  I'll decide later if/when I fix that.  (I tell ya, my body has just decided to blow all the sockets!).

So I kind of land in a happy place.  I THINK the radiation/gel implant was a very smart move (let's talk again next March......if I can still pee unassisted and get any type of erection, I'll still make that claim!  lol).  I THINK that the tumor is shrinking and posing less of a threat to other organs. I THINK my UG/sex function is getting back to where it should be. I KNOW my bowel function is back to A OK.

I have struggled with some depression and anxiety which I think is largely situational.  But I'm exploring some counseling.

Finally, I'm at a place this could go any direction.  A dear friend diagnosed a year after I was has been taking hormone depriving drugs for a year + as well as undergoing IMRT over 40 sessions.  Despite all that, his PSA is doubling every 2 weeks.  But I could also be very lucky and this could keep the cancer in check for some time.

It's a roll of the dice.




No comments:

Post a Comment