Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Decision I Have To Make

Hard choices.  My PSA has jumped in 3 months from 7.2 to 9.   Not good, The last MRI shows the tumor growing outside the prostate in the directions of both the bladder and the rectum, which means that shit just got very real.

My choices are to do nothing and let it happen, or take radiation "therapy" which will also include hormone deprivation "therapy."

The radiation "therapy" requires an injection of a gel through the perineum (google it if you aren't familiar with that anatomy) to protect the rectum, which is right next to the prostate as is the bladder.  BTW, whether you believe in God's creation or evolution, the male reproductive/urinary system is a poor design. Really poorly designed although many men think their genitals are God's gift to the world. But I'm terrified of the procedure.  I know women endure much worse during childbirth.....but I'm not a woman.  I'm just a terrified guy.

I don't like the idea of "radiating" ANYTHING.  I've watched too many videos of side effects from radiation.

So this week, I'll talk with my palliative care guy as well as a second opinion from a different oncologist as well as my PCP.

But I'm frightened.  Not of death, but the procedures to keep my quality of life reasonable.

And I'm frightened.




























No comments:

Post a Comment