Friday, December 10, 2021

Hey Dr. Medical oncologist (MO): Now that I've got 1478 characters I can express myself a bit better. 

I've certainly noticed my decline in function over the last six months to a year. And as we both know now it was the cancer starting to run its course. I've known since the 2014 that for someone my age and who couldn't have an RP, it was not a matter of if but when. I assure you I've thought long and hard about hormone deprivation.

Spent hours at UCSF Library. Read countless blogs, spoken to dozens (hundreds?) of men in my shoes. You may recall that I tried it for the better part of year one time. I was borderline suicidal as a result not to mention the depression, the hot flashes, the weakness, the malaise, the loss of muscle mass and the increase in body fat and last really, truly last what is the loss of sexual function. Not number one concern.

And it might buy a year....a miserable year. No Doc, I want to focus on and maintain as long I can, fairly good quality of life. Castration does not provide that. 

PSMA, once approved is promising but the medical community still insists on castration to even be CONSIDERED, which I will never understand. I hope that HDT in its various forms of poisonous treatment is banished. But I'm not a "standard protocol" guy, which you know. It's worked rather well going on 8 years. 

Dr. MO, thank you for your knowledge, your compassion, your friendship, your often sage advice. I have truly appreciated you as a physician and simply a nice guy. 

Best, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment