Monday, April 11, 2016

Long Time No Update - But News To Be Had

It's hard to believe that it's been 15 months since I last posted.  So much has happened in my life that the blog took second (tenth?) place.  But I AM STILL ALIVE!

I am 15 months out from Lupron and about 17 months out from chemo.  The good news WAS that my PSA for many months dropped to unmeasurable and my testosterone rose to stratospheric levels so, in some ways I began to feel like me again.  Then over the last year my PSA began to creep back up.

On top of that, the chemo (docetaxel) caused horrific neuropathy in my hands/feet, arms and legs.  The pain is debilitating and requires 4 different meds to keep at bay.  In reading blogs from women who have had this drug, this sometimes persists for years or never goes away.

So I have traded extra length of life for lack of quality.  If I had it to do over again, I'd take neither drug and just ride out my life.  The only option I seem to have is cannabis oil which, living in the very "progressive state of  Texas" makes that difficult to pursue.

I plan to start writing again as I continue this journey to bring you up to date on the events of the last year as well as my plans for the future.  I appreciate any and all comments and forms of support.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you all good things, Scott. I especially appreciate your openness about regrets of having gone through chemo. I think, too often, oncologists and advocates alike, gloss over the potential for serious QoL issues. Sometimes it's ok to say No to certain treatments. Thank you for your contributions and please be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    A number of guys in my prostate cancer support group with Stage IV PCa see a medical oncologist named Dr. Omer Kucuk at Emory University in Atlanta. He is well known for his studies, since the mid-1990's, with Lycopene and soy isoflavones. A couple of guys that follow his diet and suggested supplements have outlived their initial 1 1/2 years life expectancy by 10-12 years with excellent quality of life. His diet recommendations are basically a Mediterranean diet with Lycopene (Lycomato) Genistein, Resveratrol, Incole-3-Carbonl, and Curcumin. No other chemo or homones. Feel free to give a call if you like. 404-210-1865

    Best wishes,

    Henry

    ReplyDelete