Friday, January 25, 2019

Operation There's Gold in Them Thar Hills Accomplished...Now, More Decisions and On To Operation Glow



Yesterday, I had four 24kt gold fiducial markers implanted in my prostate (there's gold down in that mine folks!! Don't throw my carcass to the vultures before they're retrieved!) and one SpaceOAR gel inserted between my prostate and the right next door, rectal wall. This is in preparation for palliative radiation to keep the tumor, which already has grown outside the gland, from perforating either the bladder or the rectum.

Today, I feel pretty good. Much better.  Really sore (can you say Ice Pack "down there"?) but much, much better than last night after the local completely wore off.  3 hour trip to ER to get pain meds sufficient so I could finally sleep at almost 4am.

I don't do pain well.

That said, I was totally impressed with the OP medical facility in San Ramon, the very kind, professional and empathetic nurses that took care of me, the anesthesiologist who, after I got her attention, understood and, of course, Dr. Kenneth Chao, my radiation oncologist who made this happen and seemingly did a masterful job with empathy and respect for my needs.   

As always, I bounced out of anesthesia quickly and, had it not been for some degree of soreness even with the local (hence the ice pack), I might have left earlier.  But I got a ride home from my lovely niece, Amber, and did ok till the local really wore off.  Then it wasn't so pretty.

So now I have to really drill down on do I do 5 treatments or 40?  Do I do it at the local hospital that's a 10 minute walk or the clinic where trusted Dr. Chao is which is about a 15 minute drive?  Now that the gel is in, the clock is ticking because it will be absorbed by the body within 3 months.  Therefore, more research and another meeting with each RadOnc to help make the decision.  I'm also pushing to meet at least some of the staff at each location.  I mean, whether it's 5 or 40 sessions, ya still have to have some idea of them just like I know my physicians.  Besides, ya gotta basically lay nekkid on a big Dr. Strangeglove machine that whirls around your pelvis.  Yeah, I'd kinda like to meet these folks.

But my mood is good.  I feel accomplished in what I've set out to do.  I feel loved.  I feel like I'm fighting this deadly fight in a good way. I'm grateful every morning (after I've had my juice). I live a life that so many people can only dream of.  I'm a lucky guy. I'm smiling.

If you care to read (I won't force videos on you ;) ) about yesterday's procedures, here are links:




No comments:

Post a Comment