Thursday, March 20, 2014

Almost Free......and Then.......

I'm waiting in my hotel, errr, hospital room for the Internal Medicine Doc to come by and discharge me.  The surgeon has been by and pulled the 12" plastic chest tube (I highly recommend 2mg Dilaudid IV about 10 mins prior to such an event should you ever be unfortunate enough to have one.....takes the edge off a bit), the anesthesiologist has removed the pain catheter/epidural tube and the only foreign object still stuck in MY body is the IV which we are leaving in until I am officially DC'd.  My wonderful, strong, loving partner, Derrell (more on his steadfast support during the last 3 weeks in another post) has taken a trip home with most of what we amassed here in the last 3 weeks and then is bringing my freshly washed car to pick me up (he knows I'm a little anal about my car being dirty and him insisting on washing it was something to be expected....because he just loves me like that).  We'll make a short stop for a haircut and then go home and lay down to nap in our bed.  Then in a few days, I'll need to make some decisions on what route to take with this tumor and the associated metastasized cells which was described by the oncologist again this morning has "highly aggressive and at a rate" he'd not seen in someone my age before (i.e. no frame of reference).

Yup, I think we're gonna need a nap.

3 comments:

  1. Scott,
    I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have the support of a loved one during times like this. Thank God you have Derrell. Take your nap with him and bask in his love and support. I am so lucky that I have both Bill and Pat in my life. It gives me so much comfort to know that when my times comes, and it surely will, that I will have someone who loves and cares for me with me. Hey, something else we have in common. I'm very anal too and needed to have my clean car pick me up from the hospital after one of my procedures there last year. I'm glad you still have a sense of humor. You need that Scott. Give my best to Derrell.
    Your friend,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You are in my thoughts every day Scott. Every day.

      Delete