Wednesday, March 6, 2019

And.........1st Round Completed.......I Thought I Was OK Till About 10.....Then I Felt The Burn

Image showing external beam radiation for prostate cancer

I completed Round 1 of SBRT today.  To the John Muir radiology staff's credit, they went out of their way to make sure I felt comfortable.  At the end of the session (once started, takes about 15 minutes and you feel nothing), the head of the Dept., Dr. Bice came in to check on how things went.I advised they went great.........now if they just could have done that during the simulation a week earlier. BTW, doesn't the guy in the pic look so relaxed and happy?   ;)

I really needed  to urinate when I got home but I'd also had a lot of water so I didn't really take that as a side effect.  But my, oh my, about 930pm I began to feel like someone had left a hot coal in my pelvis. My testicles also ached.  I finally called the physician on call and he advised me to take some advil or tylenol, or both and I advised him I had taken celebrex as well as my narcotic pain meds.  His response was that yes, some men "have an immediate reaction to the radiation.....it should go away in a couple of days."  So, like right before we do it again on Friday.

I wan't expecting this much discomfort this quickly.  It may be a long 2 and a half + weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment